The 32nd anniversary of Marc Bolan‘s death and birth are coming up, and fans are lining up a series of commemorative events.
Unfortunately you’re going to have to fly to London to be part of it.
(photo courtesy of Jorgen Angel Photography)
Bolan, the brainchild behind legendary rockers T.Rex, died in a car wreck on Sept. 16, 1977. He was two weeks shy of his 30th birthday, so he would’ve turned 62 on Sept. 30.
Known as one of the founders of the British Glam Rock movement with David Bowie, Bolan has retained a large and loyal following to this day. They’ve even launched an online Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot to try and get the singer/songwriter inducted posthumously.
As we told you in our own profile earlier this year, Bolan also an underrated guitar player.
Now fans are also planning a series of events to mark his untimely death:
• Wednesday, Sept. 16 — Memorial gathering at 2 p.m. at Golders Green Crematorium.
• Wednesday, Sept. 16 — Music and DJ at 6 p.m. at The White Swan in London.
• Friday, Sept. 18 — TRextasy Anniversary show at The Standard in London.
• Saturday, Sept. 19 — TooREX Anniversary show at The Half Moon in London.
• Friday, Sept. 25 — Tribute Night show at Finnegans Wake in London.
• Saturday, Sept. 26 — Tribute Night show at Fiddler’s Elbow in London.
• Saturday, Sept. 26 — Birmingham Bop at the Aston Social Club in London.
Personally, I wish to heck I could make the trip and stay around for the Mott the Hoople reunion show. If only life was that kind to me.
Anyway, check out some of the shows if you find your way to London this month.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jfitzgibbon